Saturday, April 2, 2011

Field trip to Circle B

The field trip to Circle B was a good experience, despite being completely dressed up with shirt and tie. I thought it was going to be more of a nature hike and woods area, but to my surprise, it was not. I liked it a lot, and i like what they do there at circle B. My favorite thing that we did was when we paused and took a minute to think and concentrate, by ourselves and quietly. This pause made me meditate on God's creation. I love looking in amazment and awe at God's beautiful creation and it reminds me how much of an artist that God is. I was also reminded of how God is so intracit, and how perfectly the ecosystem fits together, until we mess it up. I liked the note that Professor Corrigan gave us. I like how he said to be present in time that you read poems and meditate, because in a recent post, i said that i was not with it and i could not concentrate. I had a rough day and could not focus and Hass's poem made absolutely no sense. I just became more upset while i read it. Therefore, obviously i agree with this point. Another thing that i like is that i need to slow down. It seems that we are always in a hurry, as Americans. We want fast food, fast traffic, fast lines, we want things now, and for school i seem to hurry with my assignments and try to finish them as fast as possible. In poetry and literature, i should not be in a hurry. Its the same with reading my bible, because if i am focused on my time, i am not doing it justice. One thing that is not a problem for me is cultivating a sense of awe. Awe is a word that came to me when we paused at Circle B and meditated and just thought quietly. God has a funny way of Awing us on a day to day basis. Everything from beautiful oceans and forest and different lands to thunderstorms and rainbows. God has a way of Awing us to remind us of His glory and His wonder.
I want to talk really quick about two stories that these notes reminded me of. The first is when i sat on Clearwater Beach at night with Erin and we just looked at the stars over the ocean. I was so amazed as i thought about God's glory. I absolutely love looking at the stars and wondering about life and asking the deep questions of life. This is a great spiritual practice.
The second story is back when i was in Ohio last summer. I went to the lake erie beach to read my bible and i sat on the end of the pier. I was reading when i felt something inside of me tell me to look up and watch the seagulls flying over the water. I just watched for a couple of minutes, then i turned back to my bible. All of the sudden, the fish in Lake erie came up to the surface, like a hand was forcing them to the surface and they just flopped around. The Seagulls went crazy like a starving man in a buffet. Everyone on the beach stopped what they were doing and were amazed that the fish were giving themselves up. It was very bizzare, but a scripture came to my mind and it says that God even feeds the birds of the air, are we not more important. This is the time when i was decided weather or not to come to college. This moment made me trust in God, and now i am here today writing this. God is so good. But this is another great spiritual practice.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post. You've got some good insights here on nature and I'm so glad to see you make the connection with and really seem to understand what I've said about reading.

    The two stories you've given are wonderful, about the stars and especially about the fish and seagulls. Just yesterday, I went back to Circle B, and I saw some small fish (two to three inches) jumping out of the water and then I saw a small alligator (two to three feet) snap one up and eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Like i said, i really enjoy the fact that this is not a normal lit class, its practical and realistic. Thats a cool sight about the alligator haha.

    ReplyDelete